Skip to main content

The Pandemic in Japan



I am living in Japan during one of the strangest times in recent history. While spending this time here, I’ve integrated with a society that has dealt with the pandemic for over a year now.

Ever since the start of 2020, the government has asked its residence to take precautions. Key word, “asked”, because the Japanese government has yet to demand anything from its residents, but instead only requests that people follow the guidelines in place.

Masks

Mask-wearing has been practiced by nearly everyone. I have been wearing one every day at work since last April. Usually, people will not take off their masks when speaking to each other and the most common type is the non-reusable paper mask. It is often thrown away after a few uses.

Social Distancing

Social distancing has been largely ignored. Being that much of the population relies on trains and stations, there have been incredibly crowded spaces during my commutes each day. Restaurants are operating at a smaller capacity with reduced hours. Schools and businesses have been running as usual. There is also a government-funded campaign to encourage domestic travel, in an effort to put a parachute on the collapsing economy.

Support

The government sent about $1000 to all residents. It is also financially supporting restaurants that have minimized their hours of operation. The only other government support I received were two reusable masks, sent to each household, a gesture heavily mocked for being a wasted effort.

The Tokyo Olympics were postponed and a cancellation is being considered.

Japan is currently in a state of emergency, and the future is unknown.

The future is unknown for all of us and I wish health and happiness to you and yours, whoever you may be, reading this.

A final thought about the uncertainties of life,

When conducting oneself, improvise with the melody of the moment to harmonize with the composition of tomorrow.

J.S





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Your Time

  I arrived at the bottom of Mt. Fuji at 7am. Before starting, a man said that I had 12 hours to complete the trail, in order to catch the final bus home for the night. Otherwise, I would have to sleep on the mountain. I thought 12 hours was a sufficient amount of time, but it caused me to rush at first. After a half-hour, I was exhausted and contemplated quitting. The ground felt like sinking rocks the size of tennis balls. The trail was steep.  What should I do? I asked myself. Go back down? Rest? Go only half-way up? Then it occurred to me, go slowly. A motto for life, perhaps. Life may feel fast, but if one takes their time, slowly and steadily, they can enjoy it more. Moving forward, the next 4 hours consisted of a slow ascent up the mountain. I was literally stepping about 6 inches at a time. This allowed me to keep my breath, something I lost at the beginning. Eventually, I found myself at the 8th station, the final stop before the summit.  It was 1pm. 6 hours befo...

A Year of Empathy

I was in Kyoto a few months ago, near the main station. I was soaking in the city while stopped at a corner. The day was calm. While waiting to cross the street, I noticed an elderly lady carrying a large bag. It looked like a bag of sand. I quickly found out it was a bag of bird food. Because, In the next moment, this lady opened the bag and started feeding pigeons. The birds flocked to her. On the corner in Kyoto. A pigeon feast was underway with about 50 attendees. Then, a man started shouting. He wanted her to stop feeding the pigeons. The lady calmly ignored the man and continued on with her food delivery. The man walked off in frustration and continued on with his day. I am sharing this story because after one year in Japan, it is the only negative altercation I’ve witnessed. I’ve learned that, aside from the occasional bird-feeding dispute, the people of Japan seem to have a shared ideology to help one another. To care for one another. A shared sense of empathy. In the last 12 m...

Joy

It is Golden Week here in Japan, the time of year when people take a break from business as usual. Instead, this week is reserved for leisure, relaxation and vacation. Golden Week is a joyful time. So, I figured that would be the topic for this month. Joy. It is quite evident that I am surrounded by it. Although this society is known for a disciplined work ethic, it does so in a joyful manner. Or so it seems to me. I can recall passing through Tokyo Station, once. It was about 9pm on a Tuesday. I was exhausted after a full day of work. The train was stopped and I was gazing out the window. Sitting next to me were a group of smartly-dressed professionals of some sort. They were chatting and laughing until one man got off the train. Now, in my home society, in the United States, the natural thing to do when leaving a conversation is to exchange goodbyes and walk away. But, not in this instance at Tokyo Station. The man did not walk away after departing his colleagues. Instead, he stood d...