Skip to main content

Take Your Time

 


I arrived at the bottom of Mt. Fuji at 7am.


Before starting, a man said that I had 12 hours to complete the trail, in order to catch the final bus home for the night. Otherwise, I would have to sleep on the mountain.


I thought 12 hours was a sufficient amount of time, but it caused me to rush at first.


After a half-hour, I was exhausted and contemplated quitting.


The ground felt like sinking rocks the size of tennis balls. The trail was steep. 


What should I do? I asked myself. Go back down? Rest? Go only half-way up?


Then it occurred to me, go slowly.


A motto for life, perhaps. Life may feel fast, but if one takes their time, slowly and steadily, they can enjoy it more.


Moving forward, the next 4 hours consisted of a slow ascent up the mountain. I was literally stepping about 6 inches at a time. This allowed me to keep my breath, something I lost at the beginning.


Eventually, I found myself at the 8th station, the final stop before the summit. 


It was 1pm. 6 hours before the final bus home.


Anxiety built when I was told that the next section was the most difficult. 


It was essentially climbing over, under, and around giant boulders. 


I stuck to my motto, though. Slowly taking my time. 


Then, all of a sudden, thunder. Followed by gray clouds. Then rain. All within a few minutes.


Standing eye to eye with a thunderstorm was both petrifying and beautiful.


Another motto for life, I suppose. Even when thunder strikes, do not rush, navigate it slowly instead.


By 2pm, I was on the summit. 3pm, descending down a more human-friendly path. 6pm, on a bus back home.


Take your time.





Comments

  1. Nicely observed! Seems like this will be a lasting memory of Japan for you.
    Welcome home. I so regret that my planned trip was cancelled.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Small World

Moving to Japan hits you in stages. I think I'm past the initial "culture shock" stage and have moved into the “gratitude” stage. I'm fully aware that I've moved across the world and stick out like a sore thumb, but at the same time I know that this place has everything I could possibly need. I’m aiming for consistent daily growth. Japan is the ideal country to spend my 24th year. It sort of feels like a bubble, though. The people here are disciplined and seem to have this killer instinct to protect the countries pureness. Almost like they know that the rest of the world is toxic. What has been the most unbelievable to witness are the universal similarities between the people of our world. We all eat, sleep, and have our inner thoughts. It's terrifyingly beautiful how similar we are. Children are explorers. All kids bask in their wandering minds. Everyone has emotional struggle and success, it’s just a matter of which wave you’re currently riding. The

The Uber Summer

295 trips. A small sample of the people who make up Philadelphia and it’s suburbs, but 295 trips can really teach an Uber driver about the beauty of stranger interaction. Before I talk about the lessons learned driving for Uber, I must admit that the job itself wasn’t even slightly pretty. Dents and potholes and wrong turns and near-empty gas tanks all hindered my joy rides through the city. The amount of fast food I consumed in the last three months was out of desperation, not choice. Let’s just say Burger King’s 10-piece $1.49 nugget combo was part of a calming, therapeutic ritual, otherwise known as a dinner break. The road rage was real, the pay was shitty, and the tickets subtracted too much my earnings. Okay the tickets were mostly my fault, resulting from parking at an unfed meter for 20 minutes or zooming through an E-Z pass lane. I also feel like people driving on congested roads are only capable of two emotions; neutral and angry. This was unsettling to deal with. Traffic