Skip to main content

We are Sapiens

The history of human-beings is outlined in Yuval Noah Harari's "Sapiens". I recently read it, which examines the last 70,000 years and guides readers through how our world evolved into what it is. Revolutions have shaped the current world and should not be forgotten. I think we can all feel that a similar sort of enormous change is happening, right now, therefore I thought I'd highlight the revolutions of the past for this month's blog.

Cognitive Revolution

The moment in history when apes gained a consciousness, eventually developing into the living, walking, breathing people that everyone embodies today. All of us share the same core DNA. The bus driver in Tokyo, teacher in India, grandparent in Italy, and newborn baby in New York. This is unifying to understand. No matter how much we may look, sound, and behave differently from one another, we are all Homo-Sapiens with the same ancestors.

Agricultural Revolution

This started the moment we began to grow our own food from the Earth. It planted us in place. We are now fortunate to have the luxury of grocery stores, rather than searching for food ourselves. The people who work to feed us are essential for our survival. Instant access to food is so normalized nowadays that for the longest time, I was unaware that farmers actually existed, until I lived next to one for an entire year in Kakamigahara. There I saw what kind of diligence and work-ethic it takes to feed the world.

Industrial Revolution

We began to create machinery and construction that set up our buildings, roads, and means of transportation. It led us to make things that allowed for human-potential to skyrocket, literally. We have been continuously innovating year after year. Tokyo is looking like a giant industrial playground nowadays, so is Times Square, but unfortunately it is quite scary to compare the over vs. under developed areas of our world. Why must we continue to update our modern cities yet leave our older infrastructures to rot?

Scientific Revolution

When medicine advanced to a level that could effectively treat illnesses. Science is the north star of our societies. In the middle of a global pandemic, in the Fall of 2020, let us put our trust into science to lead us out of the darkness.

Technological Revolution

When the internet and modern technological devices swept the world and captured our attention. We are now consumed with information on a daily basis. From central Japan to the east coast of the United States, two places I've lived, we are relying on smartphones for almost all information, distraction and interaction. Be careful, though, because mass consumption is in our DNA.

Tens of thousands of years ago, when someone found a source of food, say a berry tree, they consumed it immediately. They did not save some for the next day. They did not even wonder if it was healthy for them. They consumed it, without any hesitation, because humans have a craving for food.

But,

Sometimes this berry tree was poisonous and caused sickness. This was the problem.

Humans also have a craving for information and this is the problem with modern technology. It is so easily accessible and there is so much of it. Internet addiction is present in nearly all parts of the world because it is filling our craving to consume information, but now we know that too much of it is poisonous to our minds. Consumerism is here to stay, it is in our DNA, but being conscious of what we consume can help our overall well-being.

J.S





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small World

Moving to Japan hits you in stages. I think I'm past the initial "culture shock" stage and have moved into the “gratitude” stage. I'm fully aware that I've moved across the world and stick out like a sore thumb, but at the same time I know that this place has everything I could possibly need. I’m aiming for consistent daily growth. Japan is the ideal country to spend my 24th year. It sort of feels like a bubble, though. The people here are disciplined and seem to have this killer instinct to protect the countries pureness. Almost like they know that the rest of the world is toxic. What has been the most unbelievable to witness are the universal similarities between the people of our world. We all eat, sleep, and have our inner thoughts. It's terrifyingly beautiful how similar we are. Children are explorers. All kids bask in their wandering minds. Everyone has emotional struggle and success, it’s just a matter of which wave you’re currently riding. The

Take Your Time

  I arrived at the bottom of Mt. Fuji at 7am. Before starting, a man said that I had 12 hours to complete the trail, in order to catch the final bus home for the night. Otherwise, I would have to sleep on the mountain. I thought 12 hours was a sufficient amount of time, but it caused me to rush at first. After a half-hour, I was exhausted and contemplated quitting. The ground felt like sinking rocks the size of tennis balls. The trail was steep.  What should I do? I asked myself. Go back down? Rest? Go only half-way up? Then it occurred to me, go slowly. A motto for life, perhaps. Life may feel fast, but if one takes their time, slowly and steadily, they can enjoy it more. Moving forward, the next 4 hours consisted of a slow ascent up the mountain. I was literally stepping about 6 inches at a time. This allowed me to keep my breath, something I lost at the beginning. Eventually, I found myself at the 8th station, the final stop before the summit.  It was 1pm. 6 hours before the final b

How Music Helps English Learners.

During my first six month s as a Native English Teacher, I've made a conscious effort to create musical class activities.  I've been crafting lesson plans that incorporate music as a language learning tool.  Here is a list of English topics that are teachable through music. Not all of my ideas have worked so far, but these most definitely have. Emotions It was a special day when I implemented this with my Kindergarten class. First, I instructed each student to draw 5 different facial expressions on paper circle cutouts (happy, sad, angry, excited, and calm).  I then played 5 different excerpts on my viola and had the students hold up a paper face after each excerpt. They were matching a facial expression with the music they heard. The results were incredible. Nearly all 14 kids (with the exception of a few pranksters) agreed that the Israeli National Anthem was sad, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star was happy, the Allegro from the Telemann Viola Concerto was exciting, Amazing Gra