Skip to main content

Curious World

A xenophobic person was once a curious child. A child that would wake up and search for anything that does not resemble normalcy. Children search for the unique so life keeps feeling like an adventure.

Those who are allergic to foreigners were once magnetized by them. Children do not avoid eye-contact but rather instinctively double-take any time they see a non-familiar sight.

It is these qualities instilled in us that we must cherish. Most notably during this time of distress. We should never assume that what is foreign is dangerous. What is foreign provides a chance to expand our viewpoint of the world. An opportunity to shift perspective about humanity. An opportunity to cure the sick stereotypes we may have. An opportunity to gain appreciation for one another.    

Stay safe,

Stay home,

but Stay curious,

J.S



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Your Time

  I arrived at the bottom of Mt. Fuji at 7am. Before starting, a man said that I had 12 hours to complete the trail, in order to catch the final bus home for the night. Otherwise, I would have to sleep on the mountain. I thought 12 hours was a sufficient amount of time, but it caused me to rush at first. After a half-hour, I was exhausted and contemplated quitting. The ground felt like sinking rocks the size of tennis balls. The trail was steep.  What should I do? I asked myself. Go back down? Rest? Go only half-way up? Then it occurred to me, go slowly. A motto for life, perhaps. Life may feel fast, but if one takes their time, slowly and steadily, they can enjoy it more. Moving forward, the next 4 hours consisted of a slow ascent up the mountain. I was literally stepping about 6 inches at a time. This allowed me to keep my breath, something I lost at the beginning. Eventually, I found myself at the 8th station, the final stop before the summit.  It was 1pm. 6 hours befo...

Joy

It is Golden Week here in Japan, the time of year when people take a break from business as usual. Instead, this week is reserved for leisure, relaxation and vacation. Golden Week is a joyful time. So, I figured that would be the topic for this month. Joy. It is quite evident that I am surrounded by it. Although this society is known for a disciplined work ethic, it does so in a joyful manner. Or so it seems to me. I can recall passing through Tokyo Station, once. It was about 9pm on a Tuesday. I was exhausted after a full day of work. The train was stopped and I was gazing out the window. Sitting next to me were a group of smartly-dressed professionals of some sort. They were chatting and laughing until one man got off the train. Now, in my home society, in the United States, the natural thing to do when leaving a conversation is to exchange goodbyes and walk away. But, not in this instance at Tokyo Station. The man did not walk away after departing his colleagues. Instead, he stood d...

A Year of Empathy

I was in Kyoto a few months ago, near the main station. I was soaking in the city while stopped at a corner. The day was calm. While waiting to cross the street, I noticed an elderly lady carrying a large bag. It looked like a bag of sand. I quickly found out it was a bag of bird food. Because, In the next moment, this lady opened the bag and started feeding pigeons. The birds flocked to her. On the corner in Kyoto. A pigeon feast was underway with about 50 attendees. Then, a man started shouting. He wanted her to stop feeding the pigeons. The lady calmly ignored the man and continued on with her food delivery. The man walked off in frustration and continued on with his day. I am sharing this story because after one year in Japan, it is the only negative altercation I’ve witnessed. I’ve learned that, aside from the occasional bird-feeding dispute, the people of Japan seem to have a shared ideology to help one another. To care for one another. A shared sense of empathy. In the last 12 m...