Skip to main content

How Music Helps English Learners.

During my first six months as a Native English Teacher, I've made a conscious effort to create musical class activities.  I've been crafting lesson plans that incorporate music as a language learning tool.  Here is a list of English topics that are teachable through music. Not all of my ideas have worked so far, but these most definitely have.

Emotions

It was a special day when I implemented this with my Kindergarten class. First, I instructed each student to draw 5 different facial expressions on paper circle cutouts (happy, sad, angry, excited, and calm).  I then played 5 different excerpts on my viola and had the students hold up a paper face after each excerpt. They were matching a facial expression with the music they heard. The results were incredible. Nearly all 14 kids (with the exception of a few pranksters) agreed that the Israeli National Anthem was sad, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star was happy, the Allegro from the Telemann Viola Concerto was exciting, Amazing Grace was calm, and the opening to Beethoven's 5th was angry. A special day indeed. It proved that music is our universal language, but more importantly, it also provoked a group of 6 year olds to overflow the room with English speaking.

Song Lyrics

This one is best for older students who genuinely enjoy listening to music. The exercise includes listening to a song and pausing every few moments to ask questions about the lyrics. At the end of the song, the student is guided through an attempt to tell the story out loud. The song can then be reviewed the following week, with less guidance from the teacher.  It's an ideal way to practice listening, speaking, and storytelling skills. A few songs that have really fit well with this exercise are "Piano Man" by Billy Joel, "100 Years" by Five for Fighting, and "Imagine" by John Lennon

Countries

Many nations around the globe have an individual sound that is connected with their national identity. This can come in the form of a musical genre or sometimes even a single instrument. Traditional jazz is connected with the United States and the Erhu is connected to China. For this exercise, make a playlist of music from around the world and ask the class where they think each song is from, as well as whether or not they like the song. It is a great group activity to review country names and expressions of opinion.

The Alphabet

We all know this one. The famous tune that is associated with the alphabet can be used to review the letters with young learners. I have performed this tune for 4 year olds and they enjoy it, but older students seem to think it's too easy of a task. Nonetheless, the incorporation of rhythm and melody keeps letters fun for kids just starting out.

Focus

I'd like to share one final magical musical moment. It was with my youngest learner, a 2 year old who has the brightest of spirits. It was the first lesson and I decided to start by playing the Alphabet Tune on my viola. As I played, the student's eyes were locked in on me, as if he was studying for his dissertation. When I finished playing, a warm smile took over his face and it was the most genuine expression of appreciation that I've ever received. An instrument was the ingredient that centered the focus of a 2 year old. The sound of music helped this child start his English learning journey.

J.S

Comments

  1. I've known for a long time the power that music holds, but only as a listener, never as a teacher or player.
    It's clear from your recounting of how your students react that you are reaching them, providing enrichment, and encouraging further growth. Well done, Jake!
    Uncle Scott
    Portland, ME USA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Small World

Moving to Japan hits you in stages. I think I'm past the initial "culture shock" stage and have moved into the “gratitude” stage. I'm fully aware that I've moved across the world and stick out like a sore thumb, but at the same time I know that this place has everything I could possibly need. I’m aiming for consistent daily growth. Japan is the ideal country to spend my 24th year. It sort of feels like a bubble, though. The people here are disciplined and seem to have this killer instinct to protect the countries pureness. Almost like they know that the rest of the world is toxic. What has been the most unbelievable to witness are the universal similarities between the people of our world. We all eat, sleep, and have our inner thoughts. It's terrifyingly beautiful how similar we are. Children are explorers. All kids bask in their wandering minds. Everyone has emotional struggle and success, it’s just a matter of which wave you’re currently riding. The

Take Your Time

  I arrived at the bottom of Mt. Fuji at 7am. Before starting, a man said that I had 12 hours to complete the trail, in order to catch the final bus home for the night. Otherwise, I would have to sleep on the mountain. I thought 12 hours was a sufficient amount of time, but it caused me to rush at first. After a half-hour, I was exhausted and contemplated quitting. The ground felt like sinking rocks the size of tennis balls. The trail was steep.  What should I do? I asked myself. Go back down? Rest? Go only half-way up? Then it occurred to me, go slowly. A motto for life, perhaps. Life may feel fast, but if one takes their time, slowly and steadily, they can enjoy it more. Moving forward, the next 4 hours consisted of a slow ascent up the mountain. I was literally stepping about 6 inches at a time. This allowed me to keep my breath, something I lost at the beginning. Eventually, I found myself at the 8th station, the final stop before the summit.  It was 1pm. 6 hours before the final b