Skip to main content

The Roaring 20's

My 20's feels like the part of the movie when the audience is on the edge of their seat. It's a blessing to have this opportunity, as we approach the next decade, to write the remainder of my script.

Three months in Japan and I've had a ton of time to think. I've thought about my past and made it digestible, I've thought about my incredible present circumstances, and I've thought about what I can contribute to the future.

December has taught me about what is needed for my personal peace and what is a pure waste of energy. I've learned how to both utilize and rest my mind, helping me fulfill my daily desire to create.

I've been anchored in Kakamigahara this month, solely focused on creating English lessons. Each student is different and requires a tailor-made plan. The themes of these classes are what keep them so interesting. Some lessons are centered around the many ways to answer the ever-so important question of "How are you?", while others spark a debate about anything from immigration to outer space. The challenge is to prepare content that is both valuable knowledge for the learner and symmetrical with their learning style. In my 27 classes each week, I am sharpening 27 different teaching techniques.

I'm not even close to being a great teacher, though. With only 3 months of true experience, I have a hunger to put in my 10,000 hours to reach expertise. If there is one thing that you take into 2020 from reading this, it is the simple reminder to continue to learn.

Learn how to make your bed for 7 straight mornings in a row. Learn a new word. Learn a new skill. Learn about a foreign place. Learn about your own neighborhood. This decade gave us the tools to learn pretty much anything.

Learning does one enormously important thing for the soul, being that it teaches you about yourself. Your favorites, dislikes, passions, and interests. Knowing yourself is the key to happiness. I can honestly say that this realization evolved my life.

 If you don't know where to start, just ask yourself, what is the biggest difference between the person you want to be and the person you are now?

It is an amazing time to be alive because the roaring 20's are here, screaming for a revolution.

To all reading, I wish you a healthy new year full of love.

J.S









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small World

Moving to Japan hits you in stages. I think I'm past the initial "culture shock" stage and have moved into the “gratitude” stage. I'm fully aware that I've moved across the world and stick out like a sore thumb, but at the same time I know that this place has everything I could possibly need. I’m aiming for consistent daily growth. Japan is the ideal country to spend my 24th year. It sort of feels like a bubble, though. The people here are disciplined and seem to have this killer instinct to protect the countries pureness. Almost like they know that the rest of the world is toxic. What has been the most unbelievable to witness are the universal similarities between the people of our world. We all eat, sleep, and have our inner thoughts. It's terrifyingly beautiful how similar we are. Children are explorers. All kids bask in their wandering minds. Everyone has emotional struggle and success, it’s just a matter of which wave you’re currently riding. The

Take Your Time

  I arrived at the bottom of Mt. Fuji at 7am. Before starting, a man said that I had 12 hours to complete the trail, in order to catch the final bus home for the night. Otherwise, I would have to sleep on the mountain. I thought 12 hours was a sufficient amount of time, but it caused me to rush at first. After a half-hour, I was exhausted and contemplated quitting. The ground felt like sinking rocks the size of tennis balls. The trail was steep.  What should I do? I asked myself. Go back down? Rest? Go only half-way up? Then it occurred to me, go slowly. A motto for life, perhaps. Life may feel fast, but if one takes their time, slowly and steadily, they can enjoy it more. Moving forward, the next 4 hours consisted of a slow ascent up the mountain. I was literally stepping about 6 inches at a time. This allowed me to keep my breath, something I lost at the beginning. Eventually, I found myself at the 8th station, the final stop before the summit.  It was 1pm. 6 hours before the final b

How Music Helps English Learners.

During my first six month s as a Native English Teacher, I've made a conscious effort to create musical class activities.  I've been crafting lesson plans that incorporate music as a language learning tool.  Here is a list of English topics that are teachable through music. Not all of my ideas have worked so far, but these most definitely have. Emotions It was a special day when I implemented this with my Kindergarten class. First, I instructed each student to draw 5 different facial expressions on paper circle cutouts (happy, sad, angry, excited, and calm).  I then played 5 different excerpts on my viola and had the students hold up a paper face after each excerpt. They were matching a facial expression with the music they heard. The results were incredible. Nearly all 14 kids (with the exception of a few pranksters) agreed that the Israeli National Anthem was sad, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star was happy, the Allegro from the Telemann Viola Concerto was exciting, Amazing Gra